Jennifer Strickland, Ph.D.
Dr. Strickland is a licensed clinical psychologist who works with young children and their families. She specializes in providing therapy for children with difficulties around regulating emotions, anxiety, adjustment, trauma, and with behavioral challenges (e.g., attention, hyperactivity, impulsivity, defiance). Therapy includes parent involvement and support in addition to individual child work. Dr. Strickland primarily uses evidence-based cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to help clients better understand their emotions, thoughts, and behavioral choices, develop ways to cope with stressors, manage emotional responses, challenge unhelpful thoughts, problem solve, and assist parents in providing external structure to increase children’s adaptive behaviors. Dr. Strickland incorporates Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), mindfulness, attachment theory, and play therapy techniques into her treatment. In addition to therapy, Dr. Strickland provides assessment for educational placement in kindergarten, private schools, and gifted programs.
Dr. Strickland received her doctoral degree in 2012 from Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago with a focus on child clinical psychology. She completed an internship at LSU in New Orleans, with a focus on assessment and treatment for young children with traumatic experiences and a postdoctoral fellowship at The Erikson Institute’s Center for Children and Families.
Dr. Strickland is excited to return to Richmond where she was born and raised. Dr. Strickland relocated with her family from Seattle, WA, in August 2020, where she worked in private practice in addition to her role as Clinical Research Psychologist at Seattle Children’s, where she provided assessment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and behavior management training for parents with children experiencing ADHD and oppositional behaviors.
- B.A. in Psychology, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- Internship, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Infant and Child Track, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Post Doctoral staff clinician at the Erikson Institute, Center for Children and Families, Chicago, Illinois
- Clinical Research Psychologist, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, Washington
- Private Practice Psychologist at Seattle Psychology and Child and Adolescent Psychological Services of Seattle, Seattle, Washington
Contact & Insurance Information
- Please contact (804) 673-0100 x 256 for scheduling
Dr. Strickland can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a message at (804) 673-0100 x 207
- Office hours: Wednesdays & Fridays
- Out of network for all managed care plans, or by self-pay arrangement; will be contracting with Anthem soon