Kimberly Hilton, Ph.D.
Dr. Hilton is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist who provides assessment and therapy services for children, adolescents, adults, and couples. Dr. Hilton utilizes a strengths-based humanistic approach to psychotherapy with individuals of all ages who may be struggling with anxiety, depression, grief and loss, parenting challenges, ADHD, interpersonal difficulties, and phase of life concerns. Evidence-based cognitive behavioral therapeutic techniques are often incorporated to help individuals create positive change in their lives. Additionally, as a Certified Trauma Practitioner, Dr. Hilton integrates mindfulness, expressive, art, and play-based interventions as appropriate for her patients.
With over 15 years of experience consulting with Richmond area independent schools, Dr. Hilton has expertise in the cognitive assessment of children for educational placement in kindergarten and upper grades in independent schools and gifted programs.
Education and Experience
Dr. Hilton completed her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology in 1993 from Auburn University in Alabama. As part of her training, she completed a pre-doctoral internship in the counseling center at the University of Notre Dame and inpatient psychiatric care for children, adolescents, and adults at Oaklawn Hospital.
After her internship, Dr. Hilton worked as a post-doctoral fellow at Netcare Forensic Psychiatry Center in Columbus, Ohio conducting court-ordered evaluations. Following relocation to Tennessee, Dr. Hilton began working in independent practice offering therapy and evaluation services for adults and special education evaluations and consultation for several school systems.
In 1997, Dr. Hilton moved to the Richmond, Virginia area and continued independent practice by offering psychotherapy services to children, adolescents, and adults in addition to comprehensive psychological evaluations for infants through older adolescents at Crater Child Development Clinic in Petersburg. She also contracted with local school systems for evaluations to determine special education eligibility. Additionally, Dr. Hilton completed approximately 150 cognitive evaluations for admission to Richmond area independent schools each year.
During the three years prior to joining Westhampton Family Psychologists in August 2019, Dr. Hilton served as the Clinical School-Based Mental Health Supervisor for Henrico County Public Schools and led a team of 18 professionals in providing mental health services to kindergarten through high school students. She is excited to join WFP and directly support individuals in achieving their goals for mental health and wellness.
As a recent empty nester, Dr. Hilton and her husband live in Moseley with several pets.
- B.S. in Psychology and Human Services, Wingate University, North Carolina
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, Auburn University, Alabama
- Internship, University of Notre Dame and Oaklawn Psychiatric Hospital, Indiana
- 20+ years of practice including psychological assessments and psychotherapy with all ages, supervision, and consultation
- 15 year of experience in cognitive testing for independent school admissions
- Certified Trauma Practitioner through National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children
Contact & Insurance Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 804-673-0100 x211
- To schedule an initial appointment with Dr. Hilton, please contact the new patient referral coordinator at (804) 673-0100 x256.
- Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- In-network for Anthem PPO, HealthKeepers HMO