Kimberly (Parker) Nicolas, Ph.D.
Dr. Kimberly Parker Nicolas provides assessment and counseling services to children, adolescents, young adults, and families. She offers a variety of testing services including assessment of ADHD, learning disabilities, educational placement, and emotional and behavioral problems. She also completes testing for private school admissions and giftedness programs. Dr. Nicolas provides counseling to children and adolescents struggling with anxiety (generalized anxiety, social anxiety, problems with panic, specific phobias, OCD, PTSD, and Selective Mutism), depression and mood disorders, adjustment problems, ADHD, and other emotional, interpersonal, or behavioral concerns. She also works closely with parents to provide behavior management training to address concerns regarding tantrums, hyperactivity, or other disruptive behavior that children experience at home or school.
Dr. Nicolas’s approach to testing and counseling involves tailoring research-based assessments and treatments for each individual to offer the best care possible. She specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy and behavioral therapy approaches.
Education and Experience
Dr. Nicolas earned her Ph.D. in the Clinical Psychology Program at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) where she received extensive training in child focused cognitive-behavioral therapies and testing. While at VCU, her research focused on psychological assessment, child adjustment to parental divorce, and behavior problems in children. She completed a pre-doctoral internship at the University of Minnesota Medical School with a focus on psychodiagnostic and neuropsychological assessment as well as therapy with children and adolescents.
Dr. Nicolas has worked in several mental health settings in the greater Richmond, Virginia area including schools, private practices, the ADHD clinic at VCU, Children’s Hospital of Richmond, ChildSavers Guidance Clinic, and the Chesterfield Community Services Board. She has also co-led a group for parents of children with ADHD.
Dr. Nicolas lives in Richmond, Virginia with her husband, daughter, and dogs. She began working at Westhampton Family Psychologists in July of 2014.
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BA Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with double major in Exercise and Sport Science
- Internship, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Richmond area experience includes VCU ADHD clinic, ChildSavers Guidance Clinic, Chesterfield Community Services Board, Children's Hospital of Richmond
Contact & Insurance Information
- To schedule an evaluation or an initial therapy appointment with Dr. Nicolas, please contact the front office at (804) 673-0100 x256 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Current patients can reach Dr. Nicolas at (804) 673-0100 x 214 or email@example.com
- Office hours: Monday through Thursday
- In network for Anthem PPO and Healthkeepers
- Out of network for all other managed care plans, or by self-pay arrangement