Samantha Winfrey, PMHNP-BC
Mrs. Samantha Winfrey works with children, adolescents, and young and middle-aged adults. She provides psychiatric evaluations and medication management to those experiencing posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, mood related disorders, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders. Mrs. Winfrey works closely with parents, teachers, pediatricians, school counselors, therapists, and psychologists in order to collaborate closely and maintain continuity of care for patients and their families.
Mrs. Winfrey utilizes a biopsychosocial model, focusing on emotions, thoughts, and behaviors as well as socio-economic and environmental factors, all significant in human functioning and treatment planning. A licensed therapy dog named “Mason” helps to provide emotional support and companionship to those in need; he accompanies Mrs. Winfrey several days each week.
Education and Experience
Mrs. Samantha Winfrey is a Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. In 2006 she attended the University of Delaware where she pitched Division 1 for the Blue Hens while earning her Bachelors Degree in Nursing. She soon there after graduated from the University of Virginia in 2013 with a Masters in Nursing, specializing in psychiatry. Samantha also spent time abroad in Sydney and Cairn’s, Australia serving the underprivileged and aboriginal populations with severe mental health illness.
Samantha has worked in several mental health settings in the greater Richmond and Powhatan, VA areas including The Virginia Treatment Center for Children, St. Joseph’s Villa-CSU, and New Direction Psychiatric Services. She also has experience as an adjunct faculty teaching clinical rotations to undergraduate VCU Nursing Students. She is a member of Therapy Dog Inc. as well as Caring Canines.
Mrs. Samantha Winfrey began working at Westhampton Family psychologists in May of 2015. Originally from Rhode Island, she now lives in Richmond, VA.
- Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (with prescriptive authority)
- B.S. in Nursing, University of Delaware
- M.S. in Nursing, with a Specialty in Psychiatry, University of Virginia
- Internship, Sydney and Cairn’s Australia
- Richmond area experience includes: Virginia Treatment Center for Children, St Joseph’s Villa in the CSU, and New Direction Psychiatric Services.
- Practices with a Licensed Therapy Dog: Member of Therapy Dog Inc and Caring Canines
- Participates or offers Genetic Testing to help assist in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. See Services for more details.
Ms. Winfrey's Client Forms
Contact & Insurance Information
- (804) 673-0100 x 204 Please leave a voice mail message and either Mrs. Winfrey or a new patient coordinator will return your call. Due to the nuances and unique nature of each individual’s situation, she schedules all of her own “new patient” appointments.
- Offices hours: Mrs. Winfrey works four days a week and has early morning and after-school appointments
Fees: Initial Psychiatric Consultations are 60-90 minutes; they are billed at a rate of $200. Medication management follow-up visits are 30 minutes; they are billed at a rate of $75.