Stephen Twente, Psy.D.
Dr. Twente has expertise in facilitating coping for families who are experiencing significant anxiety and stress from death or divorce. Dr. Twente has interest in the psychology of men and boys. He consults to St. Christopher’s School, where he works with students and staff to promote the well-being of boys through all spheres of development.
Dr. Twente has seen men of all ages about issues such as helping develop better decision making skills in adolescence, facilitating increased motivation for school and career, coping with ADHD symptoms, making smooth transitions to college and adulthood and re-establishing priorities in family life.
Education and Experience
Dr. Twente is a licensed clinical psychologist. He completed his Doctorate at the University of Denver and his Clinical Internship at The Children’s Hospital, Denver, Colorado.
After his post-doctoral training in Boston, Dr. Twente worked in many different settings, including school-based treatment programs for children with severe behavioral problems, inpatient psychiatric units and residential programs for children with autism as well as outpatient mental health clinics.
After moving to Virginia in 1994, Dr. Twente served as Clinical Director of the Adolescent Unit at Central State Hospital until that unit closed in 1998. He founded Westhampton Family Psychologist, PC soon after and has since developed a broad private practice.
He and his wife, Dr. Allison Twente, have been together for more than 25 years and they share in the raising of their two sons.
- Founding partner, Westhampton Family Psychologists
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- BA Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- MA, University of Colorado, Denver
- Psy.D. Doctorate of Clinical Psychology, University of Denver
- Pre-Doctoral Internship, The Children’s Hospital, Denver
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship – Judge Baker Children’s Center, Harvard Medical School
Contact & Insurance Information
- (804) 673-0100 x 203 (Please leave a message in Dr. Twente’s voice mail as he schedules his own appointments, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Offices hours: 8:15 am – 5:15 pm Tuesdays – Fridays
- In network for Anthem PPO, Healthkeepers HMO and Value Options
- Out of network for all other managed care plans, or by self-pay arrangement