Laura Brewer, Ph.D.
- works with adults, 18+
- offers ADHD therapy and education for individuals and couples where one spouse has ADHD
- approaches include education, family systems, and slight use of CBT principles
Dr. Laura Brewer is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist who specializes in work with adult ADHD, couples (one spouse with ADHD), and adults with depression, anxiety, and life stressors.
She uses a family systems approach with overtones of cognitive behavioral therapy when applicable. She also uses an educational approach with adults with ADHD and works in partnership with the patient in order to help reduce the impact of ADHD symptoms.
education & experience
Dr. Brewer obtained her Ph.D. in 1997 from the University of North Texas in the Psychology Department with a degree in Counseling Psychology. She then went on to do a general internship at the St. Louis Veteran’s Administration Hospital.
After her internship, she did a post-doctoral fellowship in Behavioral Medicine at Washington University in St. Louis and a second post-doctoral fellowship in Marriage and Family Therapy at the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York.
After completing her post-doctoral fellowships in 1999, Dr. Brewer began working at Rochester Psychological Associates as a private practitioner specializing in work with adults with depression, anxiety and stress. After three years, she became a partner in the practice. During her time at Rochester Psychological Associates, she developed an interest and specialty in adult ADHD.
In 2008, Dr. Brewer moved to Richmond, VA and began working at Westhampton Family Psychologists. Dr. Brewer lives in Midlothian, Virginia with her husband and two children.
- B.S. in Psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- MS. in Counseling Psychology, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
- Internship, St. Louis Veteran’s Administration Medical Center
- Post Doctoral Program in Behavior Medicine at Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- Post Doctoral Program in Marriage and Family Therapy, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- Over 14 years of experience working in private practice
Contact & Insurance
- Phone: (804) 673-0100 x 215 (Please leave a voice mail message and Dr. Brewer will return your call. Due to the nuances and unique nature of each individual’s situation, she schedules all of her own appointments.)
- Email: email@example.com
- Offices hours: Tuesdays – Thursdays