Stephen Twente, Psy.D.
- works with children, adolescents, adults and couples
- individual therapy, couples therapy, family therapy
- help with life transitions, ADHD, depression, anxiety
Dr. Twente is actively engaged in helping families as they struggle to find meaningful life balance in this fast-paced world we live in. He works with children, adolescents and adults of all ages and he enjoys his work with every member of a family including couples, parent-child or sibling dyads as well as individuals.
He has a special interest in working with older adolescents as they enter adulthood. Adulting can be difficult and Dr. Twente has helped many young adults learn to make good life decisions to facilitate increased motivation for school and career. Life transitions to college or one’s future career can be challenging; finding a clear path forward is easier when led by Dr. Twente’s supportive listening style.
Dr. Twente has been known to work very productively with men on re-establishing priorities in family life and attuning to be a better father. He has worked with men and women to cope better with ADHD symptoms as well as anxiety and depression, especially the stress that accompanies grief and divorce. Dr. Twente has had a longstanding affiliation with St. Christopher’s School, where he works with students and staff to promote the well-being of boys through all their spheres of development.
education & experience
Dr. Twente is a licensed clinical psychologist. He completed his Doctorate at the University of Denver and his Clinical Internship at The Children’s Hospital, Denver, Colorado.
After his post-doctoral training in Boston, Dr. Twente worked in many different settings, including school-based treatment programs for children with severe behavioral problems, inpatient psychiatric units and residential programs for children with autism as well as outpatient mental health clinics.
After moving to Virginia in 1994, Dr. Twente served as Clinical Director of the Adolescent Unit at Central State Hospital until that unit closed in 1998. He founded Westhampton Family Psychologist, PC soon after and has since developed a broad private practice.
He and his wife, Dr. Allison Twente, have been together for 30 years and they share in the raising of their two sons.
- Founding partner, Westhampton Family Psychologists
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- BA Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- MA, University of Colorado, Denver
- Psy.D. Doctorate of Clinical Psychology, University of Denver
- Pre-Doctoral Internship, The Children’s Hospital, Denver
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship – Judge Baker Children’s Center, Harvard Medical School
Contact & Insurance
- Phone: (804) 673-0100 x 203
- Email: email@example.com
- New patients: Please contact our therapy, medication management, and other services contact coordinator at (804) 673-0100 x 259 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Offices hours: 8:15 am – 5:15 pm Tuesdays – Fridays
- Services by self-pay arrangement; out of network for all insurance plans.